About Mental Illness
What is a Mental Health Condition?
A mental health condition is a medical condition that can change a person’s thinking, feeling, and mood. The ability to relate to others and daily functioning can also be changed. Like diabetes, mental health conditions can cause a problems with the ordinary demands of life. Some examples of mental health conditions include anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and eating disorders.
Mental health conditions can affect persons of any age, race, religion or income. They are not the result of personal weakness, lack of character or poor upbringing. Research suggests that in fact there are multiple causes of mental health conditions, such as genetics, environment, psychological, and cultural factors. The good news is that recovery from a mental health condition is possible! Many people diagnosed can experience relief from their symptoms by actively participating in a treatment plan.
Click here to learn more about treatment and services that assist individuals with mental health conditions.
Find out more about a specific mental health condition:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Dissociative Disorders
- Dual Diagnosis: Substance Use and Mental Illness
- Eating Disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Panic Disorder
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Schizoaffective Disorder
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
Find out more about related conditions:
- Anosognosia (lack of insight)
- First Episodes of Psychosis
- Sleep Apnea
- Tardive Dyskinesia
Learn more about treatment & services:
- Crisis Services
- Complementary Health Approaches
- ECT and Other Brain Stimulation Therapies
- Medications Overview
- Mental Health Professionals
- Psychosocial Treatments
- Treatment Settings
- Fact sheets from the AKA-NAMI partnership (focus on African Americans)
- Finding a Culturally Competent Provider
- What is Early and First-Episode Psychosis?
- Early Psychosis: What’s Going On and What Can You Do?