Below is our current Peer-to-Peer class schedule.
Registration opens 30 days before the class begins.
Thursdays, January 25 – March 29, 2018
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
NAMI Southwest Ohio
4th Floor Training Room
4055 Executive Park Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45241
What Is NAMI Peer-to-Peer?
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a unique experiential learning program for people with any serious mental illness who are interested in establishing and maintaining wellness and recovery.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer consists of 10 two-hour sessions and is taught by two peer mentors who are experienced at living well with mental illness.
Participants come away from the course with a binder of materials as well as many other tangible resources including:
- An advance directive
- A relapse prevention plan to help identify telltale feelings, thoughts, behaviors or events that may warn of impending relapse
- Mindfulness exercises to help focus and calm thinking
- Survival skills for working with providers and the general public
Every class comprises a combination of lecture and interactive exercises and closes with mindfulness practices.
Each class builds on the previous class, so attendance each week is strongly encouraged.
Tell Me More About the Course
- Meets for two hours weekly for 10 weeks.
- Is offered free of charge (registration is required).
- Is led by trained NAMI mentors who themselves have achieved a measure of recovery and success.
- Follows a structured format in a relaxed and confidential setting.
What Does the Course Include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, borderline personality disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders.
- Information about the challenges and benefits of medication.
- Discussion about stigma, mental illness as traumatic experiences, and not blaming yourself or others for mental illness.
- Guidance on how to survive a hospital stay.
- Accounts of wisdom and strength, hope and joy.
- And more…
What Others Have To Say About NAMI Peer-to-Peer
“Peer-to-Peer has allowed me to take the focus off my illness and learn to balance it with the rest of my life. By engaging in recovery I am able to be more relaxed and productive both at work and at home.”