Dates and times for our next NAMI Basics class are not yet determined.
Please register for the Notification List and we’ll let you know when the classes are arranged.
NAMI Basics Notification List
What Is NAMI Basics?
NAMI Basics is a no-cost six-session course for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illness. Trained teachers who are also parents or caregivers of youth teach the class. The course consists of six sessions, each lasting for 2.5 hours. The only requirement is that the child or adolescent has had mental health challenges before the age of 13.
What Are the Goals of NAMI Basics?
- Give basic information necessary to take care of themselves and their child(ren).
- Help cope with the impact of mental illness on both the child living with the illness and the entire family.
- Provide tools to use that help parents and caregivers make the best decisions possible for their child’s well-being.
What Does the Course Include?
- Introduction to the stages of emotional reactions of the family to the mental illness.
- Insights into understanding the child’s lived experience.
- Current information about many different mental health conditions, such as anxiety and depression.
- Current research related to the biology of mental illness
- Information about available evidence-based treatment strategies, such as medication and therapies.
- Specific workshops to learn problem-solving, listening and communication skills.
- Examples of helpful strategies for handling challenging behaviors in children and adolescents.
- Information about how to interact with the school system and healthcare systems.
- Strategies on planning for crisis management and relapse.
- How to locate appropriate supports and services within the community to build a community of support for parents and caregivers.
- Information on advocacy initiatives to improve and expand services for children and adolescents