Upcoming classes in 2020:
|Tuesdays, October 6 – November 24||via Zoom|
|6:30 – 9:00 PM||Register Here|
*Due to COVID-19, classes are being held online via Zoom
Please note, this class is a weekly commitment, and there’s a lot of great material to get through. If you anticipate needing to miss more than one class due to conflicts, we encourage you to wait for the next class cycle- we have new classes beginning regularly.
What Is NAMI Family-to-Family?
NAMI Family-to-Family is a no-cost 8-week course for family, caregivers, and friends of individuals living with mental illness. Please note: if you believe you may have to miss more than one of the classes, you may consider waiting for a later offering of the class so as not to miss too much material.
The course is taught by trained family members who also have loved ones living with mental illness. They get it. They know what you are going through. They’ve been there.
You’ll get current information about a range of mental illnesses. You’ll learn skills to help you better manage crises, communicate effectively with your loved one, and care for yourself.
Perhaps most importantly, you will gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey. There is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a mental illness. The in-person group experience of NAMI Family-to-Family provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and community from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
Tell Me More About the Course
- Meets weekly for 8 sessions. Each session is 2.5 hours.
- Taught by trained family members of individuals living with mental illness.
- Designed for loved ones (over age 18) of individuals living with mental illness.
- Designated an Evidence Based Practice in 2013 by SAMHSA.
What Does the Course Include?
- Current information about mental illness and mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and more.
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence.
- Information about the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery.
- Guidance on gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person living with mental illness.
- Presentations, interactive exercises, and group discussions.
- Lessons on acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse.
- Focus on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and family mental health services within the community.
- Information on advocacy initiatives
- And more!
What Others Have To Say About NAMI Family-to-Family
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.“
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.“