NAMIWalks to End Mental Illness
Save the Date for NAMIWalks 2018!
Click here for 2016 NAMIWalks photos!
When: Saturday, May 12, 2018 (rain or shine!)
Where: Sawyer Point, 705 East Pete Rose Way, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Check-in: 9:00 AM
Walk Start: 10:00 AM
Click HERE to go to the 2017 NAMI Southwest Ohio NAMIWalks page!
Look for the 2018 NAMI Southwest Ohio NAMIWalks page in early 2018!
Your Participation Matters!
There is so much misunderstanding and stigma surrounding mental illness! Our annual NAMIWalk strives to raise awareness and end the stigma of mental illness. Through the NAMIWalk, we show the community that:
- Mental illness affects many, many more of us than we may openly admit.
- Mental illness is just that—an illness, not a character defect. There is no shame.
- Mental illness is treatable.
- There is help and hope.
- You are not alone.
How Does It Work?
Most of the money is raised before the Walk. Register to walk or become a Team Captain. Then ask friends, family, coworkers, and business associates to donate either in person or via email or letter. Share your story of why mental illness is important to you. You’ll probably find out that the persons you’re talking to have their own story to share, too.
Click here for registration details for NAMIWalks 2017. Registration details for NAMIWalks 2018 will be available in early 2018!
We’re still accepting general donations for 2017. If you’d like to make a general donation to the Walk (rather than to a specific team), click here.
How Do We Use the Funds?
Our NAMIWalks 2017 goal is $190,000.
Your participation in the NAMIWalk enables NAMI Southwest Ohio to continue our mission of education, support and advocacy for those affected by mental illness. Proceeds help fund our programs, which we offer free to all participants (the NAMIWalk generates about half of our annual revenue).
Why do we offer our programs for free? Because NAMI recognizes that mental illness can affect every area of one’s life, including finances. Offering our services for free eases the burden.
NAMI Southwest Ohio is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization. All donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Quick Tips to Help You Raise Funds
Watch these brief videos for tips on raising funds for the NAMIWalk and breaking the silence around mental illness.
- How to use storytelling to help raise money and awareness: https://youtu.be/mDntHIRiKzM
- Breaking silence around mental illness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49dYc_5b1Y
- A mother-in-law confesses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRZugTBoGQ
- “Going public” on Facebook about mental illness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrKbQ8fWmbM
Become a Team Captain
Want to get your family members, friends, co-workers and business associates involved? Form a Team! You can form a Team to:
- Celebrate recovery and remission from mental illness
- Honor a family member who is affected by mental illness
- Remember a loved one who lost their life due to mental illness
- Engage in some friendly competition among agencies or companies
- Develop more camaraderie with your coworkers
- Have fun with friends and family while raising money for a great cause
If you are interested in becoming a team captain for 2018, please contact Emily Bauer.
Become a Sponsor
Your company can help make the NAMIWalk possible through event sponsorship. And your visibility at the NAMIWalk will show thousands of people that you value mental health and wellness. You could even form your own corporate NAMIWalk Team! For information on sponsorships, contact Emily Bauer. You can also sponsor directly (in amounts from $250 to $15,000) by clicking here.
Fees and Deadlines
- There is no registration fee to register for the Walk, but all participants are encouraged to fundraise.
- Ask your family members, friends, co-workers and business associates to support your fundraising efforts for NAMI!
- All participants are required to register online for the Walk.
A Special Note to Warren and Clermont County Residents
In the past, you may have participated in walks that benefitted NAMI Warren or NAMI Clermont. Because NAMI Hamilton, NAMI Warren, and NAMI Clermont Counties merged in 2015 to form NAMI Southwest Ohio, we also merged our walks. The NAMIWalk at Sawyer Point is now our only NAMIWalk. Come on and join the fun!
Volunteers contribute their time to help make the NAMIWalk a success. Volunteer assignments include Walk set-up and tear down and assistance with Walk-day registration, parking, refreshments, t-shirts, photos, and more. To learn more about volunteering, contact Tiffany Miller.
Contact Heather Turner, Walk Manager. or call 513-351-3500.
For NAMIWalks Frequently Asked Questions, visit namiwalks.org
Sample Email Template: 2016 NAMIWalks Email Template
Sample Facebook Post: